June 10, 2010

Understanding sovereignty - An introduction

The topic of sovereignty is a very controversial one indeed. Whenever I get the time, I like to do research on such topics to find out what the answer is.

And lately I have been coming across scriptures that strongly point to the fact that NOT everything that happens is God's will.

The following is only a short post when considering all that I have thought, written and found out about this subject (as it's been such an important thing in my life), not to mention the fact that controversial topics need in-depth discussions, most of the time. So I mainly just want to give a quick introduction. (To see some of the scriptures please click here.)

For many years I have been wondering about whether God actually 'controls' everything that is going on. Note that I am not referring to God's almighty strength or power in any way. I am simply stating that I wondered whether He is the one behind every single event. This day, it is completely clear and obvious to me that He is not, because of what I have learned through studying, experience and scripture.

A few years ago, I went through a time of extreme difficulty. I cannot even begin to describe it but I literally felt like I was dying on the inside of me. I am not gonna go into detail as to what the reason was, but naturally in that state you wonder where God is or whether He is actually the one 'strengthening' you (or allowing it to happen) - because this is what we have been taught.

It took me a long time to realise that the manifestation of death and fear inside of me was not His will. Why? Simply because that contradicts His word! It's as simple as that.

When looking at scripture (because we are all tired of people's opinions), 'sovereignty' does not even mean that God controls everything - it refers to His power, authority and rule (which He has also given us to enforce. To find out more listen to Andrew Wommack's teachings 'Sovereignty of God', and 'How to fulfill your destiny'. Many good things packed in there!

How many things actually contradicts His word today when considering what His will is? I can't believe this is not obvious to us. I mean, naturally a part of us believe that God is good but then we also believe that He 'allows' bad things to happen like babies getting raped or something and in some amazing strange way that is above our thoughts, that is His will. I can already hear some christians saying that: "Yes but who are we to understand what God does?" And rightfully so! But we are really lazy or ignorant because He makes His will very clear to us in scripture - He is good! Not only that, if you are born again through the Spirit then you have the mind of Christ (1 Corinthians 2:16) so we are meant to come to understanding.

I can't actually believe that we have been so fooled. If we believe that God is allowing everything, then why do anything right? It's not up to us to fight!

A few years back I heard one of the most horrible stories from a friend. At her church there was a guy (one of the members) who accidentally drove over his friends' 2 year old baby. Horrible! And she said that everybody went into the church and continued to worship God. Now some might be thinking, oh how noble - we worship God even in the tough times and when he 'strengthens' us, so that He can be pleased with us. ??? No wonder so few people are interested in God. The God I love is not like that AT ALL.

Now, I am not saying that things would have been different if I was there. I mean, I am still growing myself but I don't know. Maybe I would have cried out to God there and then. So even though I am not there yet, in scripture we have a standard that we can look at. Like the guy that fell asleep and plunged to his death when Paul was preaching in the book of Acts. Paul went down, raised him from the dead, and continued preaching. And Paul was only a super guy because of the super Spirit within him. We ALL should be doing that or growing towards that.

Some christians today (few though) know what it is going on and do the same. Like in the film 'Furious Love'.

When something bad happens, then we intercede and pray with faith! Is it not obvious to anybody? Why pray when God will control everything anyway? But I know it's hard for some - this idea about God controlling everything has been completely integrated and intertwined with the idea of Who God is and with the word 'sovereignty'. It's just really sad. He IS sovereign! He is the awesome sovereign all-seeing all-knowing all-present Lord of heaven. But He does not tell satan to go rape babies!

Note that no scriptures say that God controls everything, merely that He influences things or work things for the good. Even OT scriptures.

The example of Job is completely different and I have heard Andrew Wommack teach on that as well. Firstly, that is Old Testament. Adam gave his authority over to satan and Jesus took it back and gave it back to man. Now WE have the authority to raise the dead. Matthew 10:8: "Cure the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, drive out demons. Freely (without pay) you have received, freely (without charge) give." So if we're not going to do it, then who will? Naturally people will do then.

All of us can learn more so please email me if you have any comments or scriptures or if you think I left something out.

Will you fight for His will and for His furious love for you and for others or will you be ignorant like the rest? :)